Skip to main content
Call to Schedule a consultation 610-994-0290

840 First Avenue, Suite 400, King of Prussia, PA 19406

Residential Electrical Wiring for Collegeville Residents

How long can your residential home electrical system last? Many residents in the Collegeville area may think about their home’s electrical system only when the power goes out. However, being aware of the life expectancies and condition for key electrical system components is important, especially electrical wiring.

Electrical Wiring Danger

Collegeville Residential Electrical Wiring ExpertsEvery time we use electricity at home, from turning on the lights to watching TV, we put pressure on the home’s internal wiring, which can cause major problems if the wiring is too old or damaged. In fact, overloading an older home’s wiring can spark a fire. According to the Electrical Safety Foundation International, home electrical problems start an estimated 53,600 fires each year, causing more than 1,400 injuries. Keep your family safe and your home in good shape. If you see any of the below warning signs, we recommend that you contact a professional electrician company as soon as possible.

  • Damaged Wires – Wires that have been damaged in some way, whether through exposure to heat, age, corrosion, bending, or from contact with sharp objects, are dangerous and should be replaced by a professional.
  • Excessive Heat/Scorch Marks – Outlets and switches should be cool to the touch. If you notice any warm spots, this may be an indication of an unsafe electrical wiring condition. Scorch marks are strong indicators that you need a qualified licensed electrician to inspect your wiring.
  • Popping, Crackling, or Buzzing Noises – Unusual noises coming from outlets, switches, and appliances might be signs of a serious problem. Disconnect any appliances and turn off electricity to the affected area before calling an electrician.
  • Tripping Circuit Breakers – Frequently having to reset your circuit breakers could be a sign that the circuits are overloaded. Prime Electric Services can assess the load on your circuits and make the recommended improvements.
  • Smoke – If you ever see smoke from an outlet, appliance, or along a baseboard, turn off all appliances (and maybe even the main circuit breaker), check for the source of the problem (if possible), and call an electrician straightaway. These are sure signs of trouble, and could result in a dangerous situation.
  • Dimming Lights – Do the lights in your room ever dim when you turn on a vacuum cleaner or microwave? You may be overloading the circuits or the wiring. Be sure to check the wiring and circuit breaker to that section of your home.
  • Missing, Cracked, or Broken Plates – The connections between electrical wires and switches/outlets can loosen over time. Be sure to check from time to time that all of your home’s outlet covers and switch plates are in good condition and that the wires inside are secure. Address any issues promptly.
  • Rodent Damage – Droppings and other signs of rodent activity should alert you to make a thorough check of all the electrical wiring in the vicinity to make sure that the electrical wiring has not been chewed on or otherwise damaged.

Working with electricity is best left to professional licensed electricians who are specifically trained to deal with potentially dangerous situations with your home residential electrical wiring. As a homeowner, promoting electrical safety can save much headache, expenses, and personal injury. For more information, or if you need a home residential wiring inspection at your home in Collegeville, contact us at Prime Electrical Service by calling 610-994-0290.